Hey there, my lovelies!
For a long time I didn’t know what to write as my Saturday post but after finishing the Netflix adaptation of “Heartstopper” yesterday I decided that I needed to talk about this show because damn it!!! It’s so, so, SO good! How could I not rave about this show? XD
Just to give you a warning if you haven’t watched the series in full yet: There will be some spoilers ahead so please keep that in mind before you continued to read. I don’t want to hold back and honestly, I can’t hold myself back. I just need to rave and let it out! *lol*
So this said let’s jump right into it and talk about this awesome show!
- The first thing I have to point out here is the actors! They all did such a great job and I love that they are all truly diverse!! If you follow the show on IG you might have seen some interviews with the actors and I just love that they are part of the LGBTQAI+ community as well. I mean Joe Locke who plays Charlie is actually gay, Yasmin Finney who plays Elle is a trans girl and the person that plays Darcy goes by they/them pronouns! I can’t say how happy it makes me that there is actual and real representation in this show! They know what they are acting and talking about because they made the experiences themselves! This is amazing and I love it so much!! Alone because of this the series feels so authentic and real!
- They really held to the comic and there were scenes when you could have taken the comic in hand and would have seen the same scene on screen! ❤ I don’t even have to tell you how amazing this is because everyone who loves book series and saw the movie adaptations knows how often they get it wrong. Not here! Nope!! The “Heartstopper” crew did a marvellous job and I loved how many scenes they took from the comics. Also the leaves!!! AHHH! And the little comic moments like for instance the literal “lightning” that sparked over their hands when Nick wanted to take Charlie’s hand into his! ADKFASKFDASJDFK!
- It was nice to get additional members of the cast and to see the girl’s school and troubles as well. In the comic their story was told through memories but in the Netflix show we see a lot of it happening in the same time line and that was just great! I loved that Elle and Tao’s story got a chance to shine as well and the fact that Darcy and Tara were such a huge part in the show made me really happy! =) Not to mention Tao’s amazing comebacks! That boy!! He’s at least as quick-witted as I am and whenever he talked back to Harry I was grinning to myself. *lol*
- The Tori and Isaac appreciation moment! I can’t even put into words how much I loved Tori and her short appearances! This girl always comes out of thin air and is the best sister ever! ❤ When she comforted Charlie I basically cried with them. T_T Also Tori has such great one-liners I can’t even. Haha! She’s amazing! Isaac is a character that wasn’t introduced to us in the comics and got included in the show but I really loved him and his calm nature. Plus the way he picks up on romantic feelings! It’s like he has some sort of radar for it! XD I really hope we’ll get more of Isaac in the next season and I can’t wait to see where his character will go. (My bestie and I talked about him and we both got an aro/ace vibe from him so yeah, I don’t know if that is true but it would be amazing to have an aro/ace rep in this show as well!)
- Kit Connor’s acting! This boy is awesome! I absolutely loved how he conveyed Nick’s feelings! From the confusion he felt about falling for Charlie, right to feeling torn about his friends and the way they behaved towards the person he loved. His insecurity whenever he was confronted with his sexuality and his fear of coming out. ARADFKLASDFJASKDF! Also that scene when he tried to figure out his sexuality and did some research on the internet! I loved that they took this 1:1 from the comic and it’s such an important representation because ahh it really happens! I can relate and probably everyone else can too! XD
- The “lifeline hugs”!! And yes I’m giving them their own spot because they are so damn amazing!! Find yourself someone that hugs you like Nick Nelson hugs Charlie Spring!!! ❤ Like his life would depend on it, like he’s the only thing that matters, like he’s the only one that understands and sees him, like he’s the most precious and important thing in the world!! ADKFASDFJASDFLASDFJADFJKLFDJASDKFLASD! *dies*
- Ben and Harry! They were as horrible and despicable as in the comic and the two actors who played them did a really amazing job! Especially if you looked behind the scenes and saw that they are nothing like Ben and Harry in real life. *lol* That’s great acting right there!
- And last but not least: My favourite scenes! Their first kiss in the empty ballroom had me laughing and crying at the same time! Not to mention the scene when Nick comes to Charlie the next day all wet in the rain! ARGH!!! They were so damn adorable and the chemistry of the two actors blew the screen! I absolutely loved and adored their acting. You could really feel their cuteness and I think the sentence I wrote the most to my bestie while watching was “Why are they so damn adorable?!” *lol* I think my two favourite scenes are the one when Nick wanted to hold Charlie’s hand – and you literally could see the sparks flying – and the scene of Nick coming out to his mum! I’m still crying about that one, I did when I read the comic and I did while watching the show. I really wish every parent of a member of the LGBTQAI+ community would react the same way Nick’s mum did. The way she made sure that he knew he was still her son and that she’d always love him no matter what… T_T I’m in tears again! ❤ This moment was so precious and my heart is bleeding for every member of the LGBTQAI+ community that didn’t get it. If you read this and your coming out wasn’t as smooth as Nick’s: You are loved and special and you are amazing! Don’t let anyone ever tell you otherwise! ❤
I probably could go on and on raving about this series but I think I’ll just end it here before it truly gets out of hand! (If it didn’t already. *lol*) As you can see I really loved the show and I’m so tempted to rewatch it again and to watch out for the things I missed the first time around. XD I’m sure I missed so many things because I was just too excited to finally see it on screen.
Anyway! What about you?! Did you read the comics and watch the show?! Did you enjoy it as much as I did and if yes what were your favourite moments? What do you think about the acting and the diverse representation? Do you think the series is as good as the comics or even better?!
Talk to me and let me know!
And as always take care and stay healthy and safe!
The Sassy Library Fox